At different times, the US Consulate General in Shanghai was located in different buildings. Here is a survey of its locations – some of which remained designs on paper.
This image is a tough one. It either shows the 1889–1901 location on Kiukiang Road, or the 36 Whangpoo Road location used afterwards:
Image source: unknown.
The US Consulate in the "Consulate Row" on the northern bank of the Whangpoo, where it moved in 1911:
Collected by Li Shenkai.
[See more pictures...]
The German Church, two buildings of the German Consulate, the American one, and the Japanese one in the distance:
Francis Stafford, 1911–1915.
There has been some rebuilding, evidently, and the triangular gables on both sides of the facade were removed:
This is the total proposed by the architect R. A. Curry in 1926:
And here is what Elliott Hazzard got the green light for, in 1935. But then – the inflation, Chinese war preparations, quotas on materials, projects downsizing...
1948, in the Development Building:
1949, Glen Line Building. Celebrating the 4th no matter what!
1980s, at its present site on Middle Huaihai Road: