May 1st, 2020

Confucian Temple 文庙 and Kuixing Pagoda 魁星阁 through the years

1910s:


C. 1935:


Modern view; click the image to be taken to the streetview:


So we can see that the temple buildings, the stone gate and the surrounding wall were moved around a lot! And that is not even to mention the big move from the original location at today's Sipailou Road all the way to today's Wenmiao Road, after 1855.

Here is the view in the opposite direction, east to west, at the corner of today's Xuegong Street 学宫街.

1857:


1900s (an extra floor must have been added in 1885, when the temple underwent a massive renovation):


1910s:


Modern view; click it to be taken to the streetview:

Image source