Katya Knyazeva (avezink) wrote,
Katya Knyazeva
avezink

The perils of early photography

North-China Daily News, 1916:
"The explosion which occurred behind the Palace Hotel Annexe on Monday afternoon was caused by calcium carbide which had been thrown into a concrete garbage bin by a photographer. A smell like that of aceteleyne gas was made and the sides of the bin were blown out, but no one was hurt."

Calcium carbide was used in portable lamps, and its supplies were carried around by photographers and cinematographers. The image from the era, coincidentally, shows a fire brigade extinguishing the fire at the back of the Palace Hotel:

Image: HPC.

Tags: 1910s, 1916, accident, palace hotel, photography, shanghai
Subscribe

Posts from This Journal “1910s” Tag

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments