Even luggage tags can be mapped! Image: ebay.
The most recent additions include:
- every view of the Pushkin Monument I could find, in various versions of the bronze bust;
- the only view I know of the largest Russian restaurant La Renaissance;
- this one was tricky! New New Stage (Xin Xin Wutai 新新舞台) that used to be where the Wing-On Tower was built in 1932;
- Shanghai Banking Corporation, architectural drawing and photo;
- rare image of St. Olga's Orphanage in the French Concession (I wrote about it here);
- a variety of drawings and photos of the Chinese YMCA on Sichuan Road;
- various views of the old and new Messageries Maritimes (I wrote about it here);
- some street views are hard to identify, and I have to check by the names of the stores: corner of Fuzhou Road and Fujian Road, Madunhe Hat Store, Sichuan Goods Store, "God Save Our Sale" at Sung Kee.
- I like to tease images out of newspaper pages; this one shows Yih Pin Shang and Jue Lu Hotels at the background;
- Each July 14th issue of Le journal de Shanghai had boastful photo essays about the development of the French Concessions, with some rare views, like this view of the Willow Court and Boissezon Apartments;
- from the same source, this unusual angle of the Cathay Mansions...
- ...and the Church of Christ the King on Rue Bourgeat, which unfortunately has not survived;
- beautiful drawing of the Metropole Hotel;
- Liza Hardoon Building as a drawing in 1935 and under construction in 1937;
- various views of Hope Bros. store;
- Nanking Theatre on Avenue Edward VII under construction;
- and many more.
Link to the map
You can switch between the base maps and use the street grid, Google Scheme, Google Satellite or Yandex Satellite (sometimes sharper than Google).
To switch between architectural drawings and photographs, select the icon with the landscape or the photocamera. To open each image in a new window click the icon with the arrow to the left of the word "Google:"